Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Random Summer Musings/3

I love summer, esp. summer in New England. The temperature (other than those pesky heat waves) is usually wonderful. Great to be out swimming or walking, or paddling in the day time, and as night approaches, a noticeable drop. Enough to make sleeping with a fan just right.
Do we love summer in New England because it is so short? Or because it IS perfect weather?
I would love it if it summer was longer..um...like the whole year long.

I love summer evenings SO much. Watching nighttime skies roll in, crickets chirping, the peacefulness of the dark, the stars making an appearance--all of it is great..
except.one.thing.
MOSQUITOS.
ugh.
It makes sitting on our deck after dusk completely impossible.
 A couple of Sunday's ago, Jim and I had just finished up working around the house, and it was such a beautiful night that we wanted to finish the weekend off with a sunset paddle.
We are lucky that we have a lake 10 min from our house, 
so a quick sunset paddle on a work night is very doable.

We were rewarded with SPECTACULAR skies.
And, guess what? 
No bugs.




 [Although privately owned now, this building is where Jim's mom 
used to come rollerskating and dancing in the 1930's and 40's.]
 My friend C (who is a librarian) told me that this sky is called a mackerel sky.
See? You never stop learning. Even when you get old like me :)



 Wow, right?
About 45 min and it was time for hubby to hoist our boat back up onto the car.


But the biggest treat was on the ride home.
The sky was so breathtakingly beautiful I made Jim pull over so I could shoot picture after picture.







[This one was out the window, as the car was moving..]

Did I tell you how much I love summer?

4 comments:

lyndsay @ Mr and Mrs said...

these are gorgeous! and i didn't know anything about the rollerskating hall! that's so neat!

taylor virginia mills said...

I love that last picture, I have always adored any and all pictures with silos...that's home to me!

asmplelife said...

wow. that's all i can say. wow. absolutely gorgeous photos. wow.

Gayle said...

I am enjoying your Summer Musings series, Ann. I love the sunset pics. I grew up seeing one every night over Lake Champlain and I miss that. Where I live now, the sunset is not really visible.