Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pizza, man.

Jim grew up in a family where MOM did the cooking, and the rest of the family did the eating. It was a system that worked, especially because his mom was an AWESOME cook. (Gnocchi, anyone?)

When we were first married, and for many years after that, I did 99% of the cooking.
Mainly because we struck a deal shortly after marriage.
I cooked, he cleaned up.
Perfect system. I love to cook, and Jim, well, he is pretty good at cleaning up.

Fast forward to today.
32 years after the wedding, three lovely kids later, a wife who worked evenings, and a dad who gained confidence in making simple meals for his kids when the wifey was working.

Jim has become a 'chef ' to admire.
With a recipe in front of him, he does quite well, actually.

He is more than willing to learn new techniques, and has become not only my sous chef in the kitchen most nights, but my partner chef.


He OWNS the grill.

He goes grocery shopping with me and helps me plan meals...
 


and the free samples
 
don't hurt either.

However....

There is one more thing he does AWESOMELY well. 
(that's what she said..wink wink)

And, as goes with a great chef, using no recipe.....
Yup--

He is our PIZZA MAN.


He comes up with interesting combinations...no "red sauce +pepperoni" for Jim.

I usually make the dough from scratch...or if I'm being lazy, Big Y and Trader Joe's make  a very acceptable sub in.
My dough recipes I use are here (if I make it a day or two ahead)
or here (for same day dough).

Here are Jim's favorite combinations:
(Building from the crust up:)
Olive oil
Fresh garlic
Pesto (we use this brand, right)
Fresh roma tomatoes
Fresh mozzarella, sliced 
Simply delicious, I tell ya.


Here's another one:
 Olive oil
Garlic
 Sun dried tomato bruschetta (right) for the base
 Fresh sliced Red peppers
Onions, sliced (or caramelized)
Turkey sausage or leftover turkey burgers
Shredded Parmesan cheese/mozz cheese combo




And my favorite, Barbecued Chicken.
Olive oil
Fresh garlic
Barbecue sauce
Leftover grilled chicken
Roasted red peppers
Sliced red onion
Corn
Cheddar cheese, shredded

Ok, I'm hungry. Are you?
What are YOUR favorite pizza combinations?

4 comments:

taylor virginia mills said...

Besides one very disturbing comment...this was a great blog post!! It makes me want to come home NOW and eat all of those pizzas :)

Gayle said...

I love the pictures of Jim making pizza, Ann! Between you and Lindsay, you guys make me very hungry. I want to try those pitas of hers!

Lyndsay M said...

you are maing me hungry!! I love all of those pizza combos..not sure if we have a fav. We really like the one we make with prosciutto and goat cheese with the balsamic greens on top!!

amplelife said...

I agree with Gayle! I just finished reading Lyndsay's pita post, bookmarked the recipe, and then I came over here and found all these yummy pizzas....my tummy is grumbling! They look absolutely delicious.