Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tuesday "Dish-of-the-day" Tutorial

There is one item that I make 
that is liked enough to get multiple requests for the recipe from friends and family. 
So many requests that I have even been asked "Why isn't it on your blog?"
Well, as of today, I can say "Glad you like it...check my blog for the recipe!"

The recipe is one of my favorites too: 

Asian Salad Dressing 
(and/or Marinade)

Simple, and yet, oh so yummy. 

Six ingredients. 1000 degrees of flavor.

All are staple foods that I always have in my cabinets or freezer. 
(I know you may be wondering about the freezer ingredient, but hang on)

So, without further ado, here is the step by step tutorial. 
 The six ingredients are, left to right:
1. honey 2. soy sauce 3. fresh ginger 4. canola oil
5. rice wine vinegar 6. granulated garlic [garlic powder] 
 By the way, one of my favorite vessels for salad dressing is a one pint Mason jar.
Did you know you can buy separate white plastic covers for Mason jars?

With the measurements built into the jar, there is no need to dirty measuring cups!
One less thing to load into the dishwasher is fine by me.

First up, soy sauce.
Add 2.5 oz or about 1/3 cup.



Next, add equal amt (2.5oz or 1/3 cup) of rice vinegar.

You should have about 5 oz or around 2/3 cup.
If it will set your mind at ease, I will tell you that a little extra
[or a little less] of any of these ingredients doesn't matter a bit. 
Really.


Add 1 tsp of garlic powder.


Do you have a microplane?
 If you don't....oh boy. Ask for one for your birthday. Or Valentine's Day!
(Am I the only crazy gal who likes to get cooking stuff for Valentine's Day, my birthday, or Christmas?)
It's wonderful for grating cheese, garlic, lemon zest, and fresh ginger.

I just lay the Microplane on top of the jar...

 And I simply grate the ginger right into the jar.
About 1-2 tsps of ginger. I just eyeball it.

I store my ginger root in my freezer. It keeps for months in a freezer bag.
I also do not peel it. Ever.
Just grate. And enjoy.
DO NOT substitute powdered ginger in this recipe.
It would be heresy!
Of course, if you had to, you could, but it won't taste the same!


Here it is on my freezer door.
It gets a little icy...but no biggie.

Next ingredient is honey. 
You could substitute Splenda if you wish.

 Add about 2 teaspoons of honey.


 Last ingredient--Canola oil. 
At this point you should have about 3/4 cup (6oz) of liquid. 
 Add 3/4 cup of oil to this.


You should end with a half and half mixture.
Half oil, half other stuff.
 Cover with your handy dandy plastic Mason jar cover (I found them at Walmart).


 And shake well.


Behold.
A jar.
 A jar of deliciousness.
Super fantastic salad dressing, as well as an awesome marinade for chicken, steak or salmon.

5 comments:

taylor virginia mills said...

mmmmhhmmm, it is an amazing marinade for salmon :)

Is that a new tablecloth on the kitchen table?

Annie said...

Yes...a Home Goods find :)

asmplelife said...

I.can't.wait.to.try.this.

Alexandra Byrne said...

Mrs. Mills- you're blog makes me hungry!! Such great tips and pics :)

Unknown said...

This looks delicious. : ) I am so glad I clicked over and found you today! Delightful!