Monday, February 28, 2011

Academy Awards 2011

It is always amazing to me that an awards show that honors the best of the best in acting does such a terrible job at finding actors (except for Billy Crystal) that know how to keep the show interesting and funny.

Last night's show made me long for Ricky Gervais and the GGlobes again. Some of his humor was off-putting, but he at least is funny more than 50% of the time. James Franco was PAINFUL to watch. I kept thinking..are we sure this is the same guy nominated for BEST ACTOR? What???
Anne Hathaway tried to make up for his lack of personality by being as chipper as possible.
It didn't work.

Every time I watch the Oscars...from my favorite moments (the clothes!) to my least favorite (the acceptance speeches) I want to shout at the screen things that apparently NO ONE tells these stars.

I guess when you make a lot of money you can surround yourself (pay) people who will ALWAYS tell you that whatever you are doing (saying, wearing) is PERFECT.  At the expense of themselves and the rest of us.

I mean come ON. Who told Gwyneth Paltrow that she could sing?

Because she cannot. And not to mock dear Gwyneth again, but that dress? And hair? And makeup? So monochromatic she looked like a beige paint chip at Home Depot.

Jennifer Hudson was nervous (as were most of the stars AND clunky stilted interviewers...Joan Rivers, we miss you) but she at least wore COLOR.


Wild eye popping color!

It was refreshing to see, especially after Cate Blanchette showed up in a bib dress.  Or rather, a dress minus the missing bib.












Natalie Portman.

This woman (despite being 7 months pregnant) stole the show in taste, class, dress and hair. AND she won Best Actress!
Great job all around, Natalie.
And I love that she has not found out whether she is having a boy or a girl.

Okay, that's my take on the Oscars!
What did you think?

3 comments:

Lyndsay M said...

gwynyth paltrow was horrendous, as i texted you last night. i don't know who told her she could sing, but i was embarassed for her!

And, actually, i loved cate blanchett's dress. i think it was beautiful!

taylor virginia mills said...

I love love love natalie portman. She's the best!

I can't wait to see the Oscar's on DVR when I come home.

Being in college during award season is so annoying!

a simple life said...

Natalie Portman was a throwback to a bygone era. Beautifully dressed, stylish, classy....she had it all that night. Reminded me of Grace Kelly a bit.

P.S. Thank you speeches should be done away with. They all say the same thing.