Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Randomness

A little bit of this and that.....


First a photo....this past weekend, I caught a glimpse out of the window at a tree in our backyard. It was positively GLOWING from the last rays of sunset. I grabbed my camera and hurried out, but my photo does not do it justice. Suffice it to say it was amazing.
The sunset was spectacular too.




I love Panera.
I love their bagels.
I love their salads.
I love their soups.
I love their free wifi.
I love how fast you get your food.
I love the staff--they never get frazzled, no matter how busy.
They have done extremely well despite the recession..Read here why that is.




I am getting just a bit tired of the fall decor spread around the house.
I am looking forward to visiting my favorite store..(you know exactly where I mean, right?) to supplement my "homegrown" (read: FREE) decorations of pine boughs and holly sprigs.
I am also checking out Martha's ideas.

Some are downright inspired (Martha's make your own glitter candles, above)



Martha's Christmas Vegetable Basket?
A vegetable basket, Martha?


some, maybe not so much.




This love of my life was home this weekend---eating my pizza on Friday night and eating my Feta Turkey Burgers on Saturday. Threw in a few recipe pointers along the way that he can take back to his dorm kitchen. We all had a relaxing weekend together...doing a whole lot of nuthin'. You can be sure he left for NY with the essentials packed into his bags: A batch of Mom's Granola, vitamins, hot chocolate mix, and containers of homemade spaghetti sauce and soup.


Another love of my life was home the weekend before. My mother and I took a road trip together to bring her back to school, and we had lots of fun. Shopping, lunches, eating fantastic homemade soups and staying with my wonderful, giving cousins (again!). And talking, lots of talking. Made the 4 hr trip (each way) there and home much more bearable.
We stopped along the way at the Ben and Jerry's factory for a tour (and a sample). First time for Mom and Taylor, second time for me. I noted two things. The tour used to be free. Now it costs $3. The samples used to be bigger, and in a cone. Now they are small and in little paper cups. Sure, they taste good.
But still. Ben and Jerry, why did you sell out???


Finally found two recipes using yeast that can now be called my go-to recipes.
One for pizza dough.
One for baguettes.
I have made both of them 3 times in the the last few weeks, and they have been fantastic every time.

Just finished this book and now can't WAIT to read this one.

For all of those who struggle with weight...an honest/funny perspective here.

For a blog post that puts a lump in your throat...read Kelle Hampton's post about growing up (and growing old) with a daughter with Down Syndrome.

Isn't this a good idea? I thought it would be great to hang up on the wall right before the festivities begin on Thanksgiving Day and invite everyone to pen their thoughts.

Great idea for holiday baking: Making Your Own Brown Sugar


Conan O'Brien returned to television this week. I find him exceedingly funny. My husband does not.
Here is his (IMHO) very amusing opening monologue from his first day back on Tuesday.

And that's it...until next time!

4 comments:

Alexandra Byrne said...

What a gorgeous blog, Mrs. Mills. Taylor and I are looking at it together, and thoroughly enjoying.

taylor virginia mills said...

I love blog posts full of random info! Great picture of Joe out on the deck! (Beard and all)

Lyndsay M said...

cute family gratitude project. it would be a good present to give dabs once we were all said and done.

love joe's beard!

asmplelife said...

Don't you just love "the girl who..." books?! Great stories, really sad the author is no longer with us. And I had NO idea that B&J's had been SOLD!!!! I was wondering why their ice cream hasn't tasted as good the past few years....