Sunday, June 1, 2008

First kayaking adventure of 2008: Day 106

After a few twists and turns, we finally got to go kayaking for the first time since last fall. It was gorgeous out today...73 degrees, sunny, with a slight breeze. We headed about 10 minutes north to the Scantic River in Somers, and eagerly set out onto Mill Pond and headed toward the river. We came around a corner and saw these! Both built since November when we were here last. We saw evidence of beavers everywhere..lots of chewed saplings along the river's edge, and lots of beavers and muskrat in the river swimming close to the kayak. Mikko was so excited about all the wildlife she almost jumped out of the kayak/something she has never even attempted. But those beavers....very tempting. We kayaked for about an hour upriver until we came to a huge tree which had fallen across the river...it blocked any further exploration....so we headed back....I would have taken more pictures but I had my small camera and my battery died soon after we started...next time, I promise!

1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

Wow thats so coooL!!!! i forgot to pack my camera cord and have no way to put my pics on the computer :(