Monday, October 3, 2011

Deliciousness

Yum..no, double yum.
Roasted Juliet tomatoes.
SLOW roasted Juliet tomatoes.
Took about 5.5 hours in the oven at 200 degrees.

These amazing little tomatoes are from a family farm down the street. I stopped in last week and looked for them, but none were to be found. The old farmer (the real deal--muddy overalls and all) happened to walk in just then and I asked him if he had any of those delicious little tomatoes that he had the week before. "Oh the Juliet's, you mean?" Yes! I said.
He told me he hadn't had a chance to pick any yet that day. I must have looked crestfallen because he said. "Hang on, I will go pick some for you". I waited about 10 minutes and he came back with a giant basket of beautiful Juliet tomatoes. Bigger than cherry tomatoes, but smaller than plum.
I took them home, washed and sliced them in half, drizzled them with olive oil, threw on a couple of springs of fresh thyme from my herb garden and a few cloves of whole garlic. Roasted them for a very long time.
They were SO incredible I can't even begin to tell you. Chewy, with an intense sweet tomato flavor. On top of pizza? Wow. Mixed with grilled veggies and pasta? Oh yes.
I found the idea on a blog called Prudent Baby. Recipe HERE.

Her ideas for these tomatoes?

"I like to spread them on french bread with goat cheese and a few fresh basil leaves, but you can toss them on pasta with olive oil, or eat them on a bagel with cream cheese, or stuff them into a wheel of brie and bake. You can do anything you want with them, but you will love them."

Go make some; you won't be sorry.

2 comments:

taylor virginia mills said...

omg, i'm drooling over here!

Lyndsay M said...

YUM!!! although i'm not sure i'm ready for all these recipes with goat cheese and brie...too crazy....