Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Happy (real) Anniversary!

It was 36 years ago today
that this 17 year old girl had her first date with this 18 year old boy.

It came this close to never happening at all.

It took the most tenacious, stubborn, unyielding, determined friend

who would not take NO for an answer.

I did not want to go on a date with someone I had never met.
I was starting college in a few weeks...I was too busy for dates right then.

This was long, long, before Facebook.
No chance to scope out what someone might be like, or even look like!

But, finally, after days of pestering, I relented.

Ok, I said, ONE DATE. That's it!!
Fine, she said.
We will go on a double date with my new boyfriend, she said.
Fine, I said.

So, on August 4th, 1974, James Donald Mills picked up Ann Patricia LaPoint
(and her friend Carol W. and her date) in his new Chevy Vega.

He was tall, with lots of black hair, and smiling brown eyes.
I found out later that he had seen my senior picture, so he knew what I looked like.
Which was totally unfair! (Carol told me he thought I was cute)

Off we went to Riverside Park, now know as Six Flags.
The date was okay.

I wasn't quite sure I wanted a second date at the end of that night,
but when he called on the phone a few days later, something made me say yes.

And within a few months, we were madly in love.
I had found my soul mate.

Fast forward 36 years.
Yes, he still makes my heart go pitter pat when he comes in the door.
He may not have the full head of black hair anymore, but he still has those smiling eyes.

He has been the best husband, the best father.

He has been my best friend since the day we met.


It was fate that I had a friend like Carol W. who just happened to meet an 18 year old boy that summer who just happened to see my picture and just happened to think that I was cute enough to ask out.

And I just happened to say yes.















2 comments:

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
asmplelife said...

I love this post! It is so, so sweet =]