Sunday, April 27, 2008

Oh, how things have changed: Day 71

Searching for a recipe when I was first married meant first checking out one of the cookbooks you owned; calling a friend or your Mom, or checking out your personal stash of recipes culled from friends, magazines or newspapers. I was cleaning out a cabinet a couple of days ago and came across this recipe box...

It contained lots of recipes taken from magazines or newspapers, but also ones from long ago friends...JoDean Marin, a nurse I worked with in 1979 when I first started at MMH, gave me this delicious recipe for Chocolate Cherry Bar Cake, a cake so good, we made it for our rehearsal dinner.
I also found a recipe for Pumpkin Bread from Leslie Campbell, one of the first families I ever babysit for, and a recipe for a casserole from my friend Cathie Walsh, whose son is now going to the same college as Joe..she probably gave me this recipe 25 years ago. Nice memories going thru this box, but I don't use it for it's intended purpose; in fact I don't even use cookbooks anymore. I look up all my recipes on the internet now...allrecipes.com; recipeczar.com; eatingwell.com. Virtual cookbooks, with helpful "notes" from reviewers. It's a little nostalgic looking back, but as with the rest of society....there is no going back.

2 comments:

Lyndsay said...

wow! thats cool, i never saw that in our house before...what drawer? in the hutch?

Annie said...

No, it was in the cabinet where all the tablecloths are next to our kitchen table!