Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I had a really good time.....

at our staff Christmas party (Center School). It is so nice to connect socially with people you see in the hallway every day, as well as the people you work with in the classroom every day. Believe it or not, there is NO time to socialize in a classroom. (I know you are thinking I am exaggerating, but it is true.) Every minute of every day is spent doing something with our students, and this pretty much goes for every grade, but especially special needs students (which is where I work) who are ages 3-5. There are no breaks in preschool, and the teachers even eat lunch with the students. I love every minute of it, but it is nice to go out, have fun, (maybe a glass of wine!) and talk about everything and anything with my work friends. I brought a pasta salad that has been my "go to recipe"...one that I know by heart, and bring a lot of places. It always gets raves, and I thought I would share it with you. I originally found it on http://www.allrecipes.com/ but have adapted it somewhat.

Orzo Pasta Salad




  • 1 box orzo (16 oz.)


  • 1/4+ cup olive oil


  • 1/4+ cup balsamic vinegar


  • 10 oz feta cheese, crumbled


  • 1/2 cup pine nuts


  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries


  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup diced red onion


  • 3 very large handfuls of fresh arugula


  • 1 cup (not packed) fresh basil, slivered or 1T dried


  • Fresh ground pepper to taste

Boil pasta until al dente, add salt to cooking water. Drain and add olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Cool slightly, and add chopped onion. Toast pine nuts in dry skillet until golden brown and add to orzo mixture. Add cranberries. While orzo is still warm, add the arugula and stir until somewhat wilted. When cooled to slightly warm/room temperature, add the feta. Add basil, and ground pepper. Adjust olive oil (add more if pasta is dry) and add more balsamic vinegar if desired.


This is just the most delicious salad. It is best eaten at room temperature. Joe and Taylor beg me to make it, so it is definitely a kid friendly recipe too.


I hope you like it!




1 comment:

Lyndsay said...

mmmm...are u making it again for christmas, i love that salad!