Friday, August 19, 2011

Yup..that's me...

...a blog slacker, once again.

Something about the summer weather lately, and maybe a state of inertia on those hot, humid days..and I'm just not feelin' it. Don't get me wrong, it's been (and still is) a lovely summer. But blog posting has it's up moments and down moments...and lately, it's been down. I haven't even been taking many photos, to tell you the truth. But I do have quite a few photos to show you over the next few days. Nothing too remarkable..and most shot with the camera I have with me most of the time..my iPhone. Quality ranges from Ok to good, but the convenience factor for taking photos..awesome.

So let's start out with what has been the main focus this summer...getting healthy, or healthier, I should say. It will be a months--no--probably at least a year (and maybe two) long process for hubby and I...but baby steps are still moving forward right?

So we have been hitting the gym more often. As painful as it is to be plodding away on an elliptical, stepper, or treadmill, the feeling of euphoria when you are back home, showered and relaxing on the couch is awesome. It almost makes exercising worthwhile! hahha. It has something to do with all those endorphins, I am sure, because the feeling is gone by the next day when I procrastinate about going to the gym all over again.

But we are getting there, slowly and surely.

Breakfasts lately consist of Kashi cereal, topped with sliced peaches...and a side of watermelon.


Or, avocado, mashed and spread on toast with a side of cherries.

Snacks--fruit, and more fruit.

For a salty and crunchy fix, we have turned to Kale Chips.


 We have been visiting more farmer's markets...like this one in Londonderry, VT


I am making batches of my granola, adding in dried fruit like apricots.

Now, no one is perfect, you see. And as we drove by the Vermont Country Deli one day last month, this lovely cake beckoned. But, it wasn't as bad as it looks. We shared this piece.






However....when I made a batch of chocolate cherry biscotti for my boy 
(who is far far far away in CA); I ate ONE biscotti.
Yup, just one.


But, I try not to get too cocky, as there have been way too many of these ingested over the summer....





 We have been grilling like cavemen. 

Tons and tons of veggies: eggplant, asparagus, peppers, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, onions, and lots of grilled chicken and salmon, and veggie burgers.

No weekend goes by without Jim out on the deck grilling enough chicken and veggies to last for a week of salads, pizza toppings and sides.
Even rain doesn't stop us...and if you know how Jim feels about being out in the rain...
you know that is 
DEDICATION.


4 comments:

mjg said...

Farmers market looks wonderful..and it would be ok to drop some granola off at 104 abbott

asmplelife said...

You are inspiring me! love, love, love your food pics...you should work for "gourmet" magazine =] and your new blog header? great!

Lyndsay M said...

yum! i think i need to try these kale chips...!

Unknown said...

It sounds like you are doing a really great job. I get so discouraged about dieting. Good for you both for making these awesome changes. You inspired me tonight!