Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Cooking Tuesday: Day 211

Decided to cook up a week's worth of lunches today....so I started with 4 bean soup. Chic peas, black beans, red beans and refried pintos...together with chicken broth, 2 cans of tomatoes, 1 bag of frozen corn and plenty of spices...mmm-mmm. A delicious lowfat steaming bowl of goodness... Next up was an attempt to replicate a delicious Waldorf Chicken Salad that we had from the VT Deli this past weekend...I knew I could come close....and make it low fat in the process.
I started by poaching some chicken thighs I found in the freezer...into the pot went the chicken, celery, onions, carrots, all poached in chicken broth until tender.
Meanwhile, I chopped up scallions, celery/celery leaves, red and green grapes, and apples... also added some dried cranberries and 1 T of sunflower seeds.

Once the chicken was cooled, I pulled the chicken off the bones, discarded the skin and chopped it into small pieces. Threw it into the bowl along with dill, lemon pepper, salt, light sour cream and a little bit of lite mayo.


When I finished, it looked like this....

When Jim got home and took a taste..."This is the greatest chicken salad I've ever had! It blows away the VT Deli's!!" Wow..high praise indeed. Can't wait to have a sandwich tomorrow.. mmm...

2 comments:

Lyndsay said...

omg that looks delicious!!!
and that soup looks amazing, although you know how much i love soup and i haven't wanted any in a really long time due to the heat!

Annie said...

I know...I just started making soup again after a long hot summer!